The Corona’s Devastation Story
Many of us have gone through such funny messages on our social media accounts. But, unfortunately, we often ignore it when someone sends such messages. But, this time, with the continuous onset of Corona variants one by one, many of us have begun doubting our decision not to forward such messages. Well, it is only fun. But, with the ever-rising casualties, small businesses shuttering, and large companies facing huge losses, there is no sign of any positive news anywhere. Meanwhile, the latest Corona variant, Omicron, has struck the world. And, all these are not fun.
The Outbreak of the Covid-19
On January 2, 2020, Helen Branswell, a science journalist for stat news, said, “Not liking the look of this.” Nobody knew that a handful of Corona cases in Wuhan would turn into a full-blown pandemic so soon when she made this remark. Unfortunately, it happened.
In March 2022, when Corona hit the world, the UK’s Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, described it as the worst public health crisis for a generation. Soon, the situation began turning drastic, with countries worldwide announcing lockdown and social distancing norms. As a result, people were compelled to live inside their homes. Moreover, organizations and companies adopted work from home culture.
What Changes Covid-19 Brought?
Now, the overall condition across the globe is uncertain. Sometimes, countries are relaxing lockdowns, and sometimes they have to strict their rules. Since corona has made everything around us unsure, people are significantly under mental pressure to cope with these uncertainties.
Moreover, financial concerns and social isolation have triggered anxiety and insecurity, leading to mental health issues.
How Has Covid-19 Impacted People’s Mental Health?
The economic recession due to the pandemic has adversely affected people’s mental health. Besides, it has created new barriers for the people already suffering from substance use disorders and mental illness.
The below-mentioned data will show you how the pandemic has worsened mental health in the USA.
- Every 4 in 10 adults in the USA have reported having depressive or anxiety disorder.
- Besides, data presented by KFF Health Tracking Poll suggests that 36 percent of people have difficulty sleeping.
- According to KFF data, there is a 12 percent increase in substance use and alcohol.
- Moreover, there is a 12 percent increase in worsening chronic conditions.
How has Covid-19 Impacted Various Sections of Society?
Above all, KFF Health Tracking Poll data and Household Pulse Survey report give a valuable insight into how Corona has impacted various other sections of society.
Here’s an overall overview:-
- Closures of universities, colleges, and loss of income have badly impacted young adults’ mental health.
- A larger than average share of young adults, i.e., 56 percent, reported depressive and anxiety disorder symptoms. Besides, 26 percent reported having suicidal thoughts.
- Various research links job loss directly to increased anxiety, depression, low self-esteem, and distress.
- All these lead to suicides and substance use disorder. Consequently, young adults with lower incomes or job losses had a mental illness during the pandemic.
- Above all, many essential workers such as mail and package delivery personnel, grocery store employees, and health care providers continue to face various challenges during Corona compared to others.
- For example, more than 42 percent of essential workers faced anxiety and depression.
- Essential workers must work outside their homes and are more vulnerable to Covid-infection.
- Likewise, more than 22 percent of essential workers have suicidal thoughts than 8 percent of non-essential workers during the pandemic.
- Apart from this, many frontline health care workers reported feelings of depression and anxiety and thoughts of suicide.
Corona-impact on Children and Parents
- Corona forced childcare centers and schools to remain closed. As a result, many schools adopted a virtual method of instruction to educate children.
- Undoubtedly, these closures led children and their parents to experience disruption in their daily routines.
- Research shows dismal scenarios about children and their parents’ well-being and mental health during the Covid.
- Consequently, Corona has deteriorated the mental health of this section.
How has Corona Impacted Various Economic Sectors?
Covid-19 has devastated many industries, including leisure and hospitality, retail, and aviation. Also, it has badly hit the automobile and realty sectors.
Here’s how it has impacted these sectors:-
Corona hit the aviation sector at the worst. Governments across the globe have banned national and international traveling. As a result, aviation companies have canceled their national and international flights due to worldwide lockdown. Unfortunately, it seems that this particular sector will take a longer time to recover from its losses.
The lower GDP growth rate in the pandemic has led to higher NPAs in banks. Besides, the growing demand for loans can be directed by some adverse outcomes such as slower pre-payments, restructuring or moratoriums, or worsening working capital cycles.
During Corona, Lockdown and social distancing norms have heavily impacted organized retails due to the shutdown of shops and malls. However, its impact on the retailers of essential goods is relatively low.
The pandemic outbreak is no less than a curse for the automobiles sector. The reduction in consumer demand for public and private vehicles has resulted in huge revenue loss. Besides, shutting down various production units has also led to massive unemployment and loss of revenue.
— Marc Lipsitch (@mlipsitch) April 1, 2020
Corona spread at a fantastic accelerated speed. The announcement of lockdown to fight against Corona was like jumping from a sinking boat to a life raft. This can be summarized with the tweet of Marc Lipsitch in March 2020 “With Covid-19, we’ve made it to the life raft. Dryland is far away”. March Lipsitch is an epidemiologist. However, scientists have developed vaccines, and almost half-world is vaccinated. Still, that dry land is yet to be seen.