Modafinil is a pharmaceutical treatment of sleepiness called Narcolepsy/sleep apnea. It is a beneficial medicine for people who feels tired and sleepy most of the time. It works in the brain by providing alertness and consciousness.
Another name of Modafinil is Provigil. It is a common and widely prescribed medicine around the world.
Uses of Modafinil
The primary use of it is to treat narcolepsy among teens and adults. Also, this medicine plays an essential role during the war. It is a common essential item for armed forces, and developed countries like the united states and the united kingdom have the highest demand for this drug.
Side Effects of Modafinil
This medicine has moderate-to-severe side effects, although it depends on a person’s physiological health and economic stability.
However, these are the common side-effects :
- Sleeping problems
Serious adverse effects are:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Mood changes
- Mental problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Chest pain very regularly.
- Skin allergic reaction/itching
- Trouble in breathing
Addiction and dependence
The addiction and dependence liabilities of this mea\dicin are relatively low. The United States FDA classifies modafinil as a schedule IV controlled substance, a category for drugs with valid medical uses and low but significant addiction potential.
Also, long term clinical studies have found no study of tolerance with modafinil at therapeutic dosages even with regular use (for 40 weeks and as long as three years).
Modafinil shows neurological disorders if you use it for a long time. It can lead to insomnia, bipolar disorder, and panic attacks.
What are the precautions of Modafinil?
- Tell all of your doctors or health care providers that you take modafinil.
- Always remember that this medicine does not cure sleep problems permanently and does not replace sleep. Thus, stay under the care of your doctor.
- Also, avoid driving and indulging in other tasks or actions to see modafinil actions on you.
- This medication may be habit-forming with regular use.
- Also, check blood pressure and your heart rate, as the doctor has told you.
- Do not forget to take some heart tests before starting modafinil medication. And if you have questions, talk to your doctor.
- Doctors do not recommend to take alcohol while using modafinil.
- Mental or mood problems like anxiety and depression and suicidal thoughts can cause due to modafinil.
- A severe reaction can happen most of the time, and this reaction has symptoms like fever, rash, swollen body organs like your liver, muscles, kidney, blood, heart, and joints.
- Also, you need to limit your caffeine intake (for example, tea, coffee, cola) and chocolate because using modafinil may lead to nervousness, shakiness, and a fast heartbeat.
- If you are older than 60, so use modafinil with special care. You could have more rare side effects.
- This medication is not suitable for use in children because of the chances of very bad and sometimes deadly skin reactions like Stevens-Johnson syndrome that may be raised in children.
- Furthermore, contraceptive pills and other hormone-based birth medicine may not work as well to prevent pregnancy. Hence, you need to use other kinds of birth control like a condom if taking modafinil and for one month after the last dose.
- Hence, tell your doctor in case you are pregnant and plan on getting pregnant, or if you are breast-feeding. Therefore, you will need to have a conversation about the benefits and health risks to you and the baby.
The primary use of modafinil is to treat narcolepsy among teens and adults. Also, this medicine plays an essential role during the war. It is a common essential item for armed forces, and developed countries like the united states and the united kingdom have the highest demand for this drug. This medicine has moderate-to-severe side effects, although it depends on a person’s physiological health and economic stability.