Methadone: Purpose, Uses, Side Effects
Methadone belongs to the drug class of opioid analgesics, but it works to prevent addiction to opioids. Besides that, this medicine also helps in opioid dependence and chronic pain management.
Among all the other opioid analgesics, methadone is the high potent medication in a single dose a day. It is easy to swallow by mouth and injected into being and muscle. Also, Dolophine is a brand name of Methadone.
Uses of methadone for medical purposes
- The first and foremost use of methadone is to treat opioid addiction.
Under this treatment, a person who is highly addicted to opioid uses gets a proper medical solution. So, it is a kind of disorder where a user of opioid takes the drug blindly and have the anxiety of dependency on it.
Methadone is SAMHSA and DEA certified for the use of opioid addiction. Therefore, considerable research has been done on the impacts of methadone on addiction. Besides the maintenance of opioid disorder, it also helps while detoxification in a human body.
However, the period of methadone treatment depends on the severity of the addiction. And it can go on from a few months to years, but MMT can be long-lasting.
The second important function of methadone is chronic pain management with the interaction of other medicine.
However, the dosage of methadone differs on multiple factors such as age, gender, and medical history and including alcohol addiction.
Side-effects of Methadone
This drug comes with multiple side-effects, including short-term to long-term. Common adverse effects are:
- Sleepiness and Weakness
- Low blood pressure
- The problem in the heart and liver
- Dry mouth
- Lack of appetite
- Weight loss
- Swelling in hands, arms, and legs
- Mood changes very regularly.
- Anxiety only happens if you take it regularly.
- And skin rashes
Things to do while taking Methadone
- Eat properly
- Also, take enough and all nutrition.
- Drink enough water to pass the medicine through urine
- Eat enough dietary fiber to prevent constipation and nausea.
- Take to friends and be with the company to avoid anxiety and depression.
- Always ask your doctor if you want to stop the medicine.
- And make sure you take it according to the prescription.
- The overuse of methadone can be very risky.
- Also, try to avoid going out alone with medicine.
Overdose of methadone
Most people who have overdosed on methadone may show some of the following symptoms:
- Miosis (constricted pupils)
- Hypoventilation (breathing that is too slow/shallow)
- Sleepiness, disorientation, dizziness, sedation,
- And unresponsiveness
- Skin that is cool, clammy (damp), and pale
- Also, limp muscles, trouble staying awake, nausea
- Lastly, unconsciousness and coma
Thus, Methadone is helpful to remove the addiction of opioids from a mind, and therefore, you may feel relaxed. The drug also comes in multiple dosages, so ask your doctor first before buying methadone online and from the pharma store.